The World... Today

Text: Romans 15:13

Theme: Hope

Reflection:
How have you responded to the news lately? Have you paid attention to what is going on locally? Nationally? Internationally?

This weekend, I have spent more time watching the news and following the news online, than I have in a long time. In most images, I see people with anger, exhaustion, and frustration. I pray for them, and a weary world in which hope seems to be fleeting. As members of the body of Christ, we are called to usher in hope and love, given to us by an unconditional-loving God, to be shared with the world.

Today, this hope looks beyond words of "thoughts and prayers," although that is a good initial response. While we cannot pray, by name, for every individual, community, and country that needs prayed for, but we will pray to God for healing for the family and friends of Ahmaud Arbery who was killed while running in Georgia. We will pray to God for healing for the family and friends of George Floyd, who was killed while in the custody of a Minneapolis police officer. We will pray for our communities in the midst of protests and uprising. May the hope of Christ dwell in us all.

Today, this hope looks like self-reflection, on how the life I live impacts my neighbor. Hope is in the repentance of turning away from sin and toward God. Hope looks like asking forgiveness of God and neighbor, for the ways that I have said and done things that harm, not help. Hope means being willing to look at myself and being willing to be the change the world needs right now.

Today, this hope looks like connecting with people in my neighborhood. Through the time of Covid-19, looking out for our neighbors has been especially challenging; the normal encounters with humanity (i.e. the grocery store, the gym) has been limited or cut off completely. Yet our command to love our neighbor, and look out for their sakes is no less important now. Looking after my neighbor is a command from Jesus (see John 13)!

Today, this hope looks like becoming more educated towards US history and the current factors that impact people differently; legal, economical, health, and education, just to name a few. Reading, reflecting, and discussing contemporary issues is one way to bring some change into a world that needs it.

I don't know what your news source is, or how closely you are paying attention to the news. I do encourage you to make yourself aware of the world around you; especially for African Americans, Asian Americans, Native Americans, immigrants and refugees, people under the Rainbow Umbrella (LGBTQI+), Muslims, or Jewish people. I challenge you to reach out to your neighbors who are in need of hop today.

Hope can be challenging in daily life. Beyond words, hope means being engaged in the world. Hope means trusting that the Holy Spirit is working in me, around me, and through me. Hope means believing the promise that God has claimed me, and that I have a role in sharing how my life has been transformed with my neighbors. Hope means looking at the big picture, knowing that change is incremental, and slow, and often frustrating.

The wold needs you, sibling in Christ. Your neighbor needs you. Those who suffer injustice need you. I need you. May the true hope of the world, in and through Jesus Christ, guide you on this day of Pentecost.

Questions:
1) What neighbor could use a word of hope this day? How can I share my hope in Christ with them?
2) What are your "normal" news sources? How do I interpret the news from sources beyond my "normal?"
3) Where do you find hope in the world right now?

Prayer: Holy God, our true hope is found only in you, and the gift of life you have given us in Jesus Christ. Send me to those who are in despair now, so that I may share the hope I have you. Bring peace to places of violence, and bring healing where there is injustice; especially to the families and friends of Ahmaud Arbery and George Floyd. Turn me back to you, O God, and bring us together for the sake of your creation. In Jesus name we pray. Amen.

Song: The Canticle of the Turning (ELW #723)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXyGh1MW2OM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laborer's for Christ

Patience and Flexibility

Baptized Life