Baptized Life

Text: Romans 6:1-11

Theme: Life from death

Reflection:

I don't remember the day I was baptized; this is good and well, as I was only 34 days old! I do know who was there, standing around the font with me. I do know that the promises made in my baptism continue to this day... and tomorrow... and into eternity. I have had the privilege of sponsoring some very special people to me in their baptism. I have had the honor or baptizing some very special young people in two different congregations. Baptism continues to be a communal celebration within the body of Christ.

In this Roman's text, Paul starts with sin and moves to grace. Paul starts with death and moves to life. Paul starts with us and moves to baptism into Christ Jesus. The theme in this writing is starting with the human condition, which leads always to God's promises. We, you and me, are humans in this world, trying to figure out how this world works, and more importantly, how God is active in this world. The two things that every single human has in common, including Jesus Christ, is a particular moment where one is born, and a particular moment where one dies. These are universal human experiences. The amazing thing about Jesus' birth and death, is that Jesus is both fully human and fully divine; all person, all God! The Creator of all that is takes on flesh and bone, to experience the human conditions of this world.

Recently, the United States has experienced plenty of sin, death, and humanity. I have watched the number of Covid-19 cases and deaths rise. I have watched the videos of black men being killed in plain daylight. I have seen hungry people beg for food, and accompanied a family through the death of a loved one. I have reflected upon my role in systems of injustice. I have begged God for answers to why suffering persists in a time of plenty.

I don't have all the answers, and the questions continue to rise. I know that I have a lot of work to do, as a baptized child of God, husband, father, pastor, and member of society to confront sin in this world, trusting that God's grace continues amidst my failures and faults. I know that my time on earth is finite; I too will have a date of death, and a service where the pastor and assembly ask God for my eternal safe-keeping. I trust that God will continue to send the Holy Spirit to work around me, through me, and in me.

Baptism is an amazing and mysterious event. God's Spirit enters water, that comes from the tap, grafting the one being baptized into the body of Christ. The assembly makes promises, to "...support [the baptized] and pray for them in their new life in Christ." (ELW, page 228). Baptism is about temporal life, leading to death, leading to eternal life. This happens not because we have earned God's love. This life-altering reality happens because of what God has done/is doing/will do through Jesus Christ. Living into one's baptismal vocation, to share the Good News of Jesus Christ, is often difficult, at times costly, and always expected. And when you and I fall short of doing what we can and should do, the Holy Spirit is at the ready, with grace sufficient enough... and then some.

Questions:
1) What is most memorable about the sacrament of baptism to you?
2) What question(s) come to mind when you think of the sacrament of baptism?

Prayer: Triune God; as Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer of all life, I ask for your wisdom and guidance today. Guide me to trust your Holy Spirit, so that my thoughts and actions may be a light in this world. Help me to boldly proclaim the good news-- abundant and eternal life in Christ-- to the world, today and always. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Song: Baptized and Set Free (ELW, #453)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Patience and Flexibility

Laborer's for Christ

You Are...